Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Oh, Mona Lisa

With all the new things we are trying out in the art room this year, I thought it was time for a new quiet sign. Give Me Five was fine, but I was getting bored with it and so were the students. I came across this gem on a blog somewhere and loved it. How perfect for the art room! 
So, in our first three classes, we have been practicing what being Mona Lisa Quiet looks like and modeling good listening behaviors. I say "Mona" when I need their attention and the students respond "Lisa," followed by displaying Mona Lisa listening. It has been a great attention getter and we are learning about the world's most famous painting in the process! 
As a fun way to learn a bit more about the Mona Lisa, we watched a short YouTube video about the Mona Lisa. It is done by a seven year old girl. It is cute, fun and informative. The students loved it. Some classes loved it so much, they requested it over and over again and I obliged (only while they were working, though, of course!). It is called "Why is the Mona Lisa so Famous?"
I think Mona Lisa is really going help us display excellent listening behaviors this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment